Achieve Tax Savings & Wealth Building with DR-VIP
October 4, 2023
Companies looking for larger tax-deductible contributions and boosted retirement savings for their owners and professionals need to look no further than a Direct Recognition Variable Investment Plan (DR-VIP).
As an integrated defined contribution (DC) and defined benefit (DB) plan, a DR-VIP is designed to optimize benefits, mitigate risk, increase tax-deductible contributions and minimize costs.
Plan Design Offers Numerous Advantages
The unique design allows owners, partners and key stakeholders to achieve their goals without having to wrestle with the challenges of typical DB plans. USI Consulting Group’s (USICG's) DR-VIP leverages the best features of DC and DB plans:
- Substantially higher tax-deductible contributions1 when integrated with 401(k) and a profit-sharing plan. Because part of the plan design is a DB plan, the tax-deductible contributions are much greater – as high as $300,000 per person.2
- Participant benefits increase or decrease in direct relation to the plan’s investment returns which mitigates the underfunding risk associated traditional DB and cash balance plans.
- As a qualified plan3, the DR-VIP assets are exempt from creditor claims. This plan design allows companies to build assets that are tax-advantaged and protected from creditor claims.
- DR-VIP contributions are much more known, consistent and reliable. As a result, companies are able to budget for their contributions and can rely on that annually. If the market is down, there’s no worry that additional contributions will need to be made.
- DR-VIP assets can be invested according to the company’s overall investment objectives to optimize returns, while 401(k) plan investments continue to be participant-directed.
- Every plan is submitted to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for a favorable determination of the plan’s tax qualification. USICG’s DR-VIPs are submitted to the IRS and our clients receive a determination letter that states the plan is approved and qualified.4
- The plan design provides for the daily valuation of DC and DB plans. Participants find this to be a key advantage, as they can review the value of their benefits as of the previous business day’s close.
- Participants have online access to their DR-VIP benefits and 401(k) account through a single sign-on.