Frequently Asked Questions
- WHAT TYPE OF COMPANY BENEFITS FROM A DR-VIP?
A: Any company with highly compensated owners and management looking to increase tax-deductible contributions to $100,000 or more.
- WHAT DOES DIRECT RECOGNITION MEAN?
A: It means that a participant’s benefit is credited with the actual investment performance of the plan.
- WHAT IS A DR-VIP ARRANGEMENT?
A: A DR-VIP arrangement consists of three fully integrated elements including 401(k), profit-sharing and DR-VIP defined benefit contributions.
- IS EVERY DR-VIP REVIEWED BY THE IRS?
A: Yes, every plan is submitted to IRS for a favorable determination of the plan’s tax qualification.
- HOW ARE PLAN ASSETS INVESTED?
A: 401(k) and profit-sharing plan assets are generally participant directed and DR-VIP plan assets are invested pursuant to the plan sponsor’s objectives and directions.
- IS A DR-VIP AN ARRANGEMENT TREATED LIKE A 401(K) OR PROFIT-SHARING PLAN FOR TAX PURPOSES?
A: Yes. A DR-VIP gets the same tax treatment as any other defined contribution or defined benefit plan including 401(k), profit-sharing and cash balance plans.
- ARE EMPLOYER CONTRIBUTIONS TO A DR-VIP PLAN TAX DEDUCTIBLE?
- DO DR-VIP ASSETS ACCRUE ON A TAX DEFERRED BASIS?
- CAN A DR-VIP PARTICIPANT’S BENEFIT BE ROLLED OVER TO AN IRA OR OTHER RETIREMENT PLAN?
- ARE DR-VIP ASSETS EXEMPT FROM THE CLAIMS OF CREDITORS?
- IS THERE A CONTRIBUTION LIMIT?
A: Yes, the same limit that applies to cash balance and traditional defined benefit plans.
- IS THERE A LIMIT ON HOW MUCH CAN BE CONTRIBUTED ON BEHALF OF OR ACCRUED BY A PARTICIPANT IN A DR-VIP?
A: Yes, the same limit that applies to a cash balance plan. However, a DR-VIP contains an automatic conversion feature, where there are no limits to roll benefits into an IRA.
- ARE DR-VIP CONTRIBUTIONS FIXED OR FLEXIBLE?
A: Contributions can be set to automatically decrease when profits are reduced. Optional contributions can also be made when profits go up. A significant percentage of contributions is discretionary.
- ARE DR-VIP CONTRIBUTIONS AFFECTED BY INVESTMENT PERFORMANCE?
- CAN DR-VIPs BECOME UNDERFUNDED LIKE CASH BALANCE PLANS?
A: Since the value of benefits accrued in DR-VIPs is directly tied to asset performance the exposure to underfunding or overfunding is mitigated.
- ARE DR-VIP ASSETS INVESTED ON A PARTICIPANT DIRECTED BASIS?
A: No, like cash balance plans, DR-VIP assets are invested on a pooled basis. The 401(k) and profit-sharing assets in the DR-VIP arrangement are participant directed.
- DO DR-VIP PARTICIPANT BENEFITS GROW WITH A FIXED INTEREST CREDIT LIKE CASH BALANCE ACCOUNTS?
A: No. DR-VIP participant benefits are credited with the actual investment performance of the associated plan assets.
- IS THERE A LIMIT TO HOW MUCH INVESTMENT RETURN (OR LOSS) CAN BE CREDITED TO DR-VIP PARTICIPANT BENEFITS?
- CAN ANY FORM OF COMPANY IMPLEMENT A DR-VIP PLAN?
A: Yes. DR-VIPs can be used by partnerships, S-Corporations, LLCs and C-Corporations.
This material is for educational purposes and should not be considered a solicitation or an offer of investment advice/securities.